Who Is Eligible for Graduate Housing?

Fully-registered graduate students

All graduate students are eligible to apply for on-campus housing if they are fully registered for the period they will be living at MIT.


Individuals who want to group as roommates on campus can jointly select a unit during self-selection. It requires teamwork, and all roommates should rank building and room-type preferences together before self-selection. Some tips to make the process easier:

  • Choose one roommate leader to select the unit and beds for all roommates. The other roommates should stay accessible so the leader can coordinate with them during the self-selection window.
  • Ensure all beds are open in the unit you would like to select.
  • The leader should add all beds to their cart and assign members of the roommate group to the appropriate bed.
  • Once assignments are selected, they cannot be changed. Confirm with all roommates before proceeding.

Individuals seeking a roommate to fill out a two-, three-, or four-bed apartment are welcome to use the roommate finder tool during self-selection to find like-minded individuals to room with.

Graduate students with partners and children

Fully registered graduate students with families/partners who will live with them full-time while at MIT are eligible for family housing in Graduate Junction, Graduate Tower at Site 4, or Westgate Apartments. Couples also have the option to select housing in Edgerton House, Sidney-Pacific, and 70 Amherst Street.

Family is defined by a partner or spouse, children, and legal dependents. Family housing is not for extended family members (parents, siblings, etc.) unless the family member is a legal dependent. You must submit documentation proving your family status when applying for family housing.

Undergraduate students with partners and  children

Contact Housing & Residential Services as soon as possible to be considered for family housing if you are:
• entering MIT as a married first-year student
• an undergraduate who has continuously lived on-campus and will be getting married
• an undergraduate with a child
• an MIT student whose parent(s) are legal dependents of the student

Married undergraduates living off-campus must apply to the undergraduate waiting list and request family housing in graduate housing. Reach out to HRS to learn more.

Housing for Families

Visitors, postdocs, cross-registered students & MIT affiliates

While on-campus graduate housing is prioritized for members of the MIT graduate student community, visitors, postdocs, affiliates, and cross-registered students who are seeking to live in on-campus graduate housing may also select on-campus housing through the visitor self-selection process, subject to housing availability.  Visitors may also sublicense a room from a current resident during the summer, winter, or Independent Activities Period (IAP) breaks.

Housing for Visitors

Supplemental Housing

If you have specific housing requirements in categories listed below, please submit a supplemental housing request form. Housing & Residential Services will review these requests with the appropriate MIT departments and decide how best to address each request.

  • Disability
  • Medical
  • Religious
  • Gender identity or expression
Supplemental Housing Requests

Who Is Not Eligible for Graduate Housing?

Employees of Draper, Broad, Whitehouse, or temporary staffing agencies like NextSource

Employees of Draper, Broad, Whitehouse, or temporary staffing agencies like NextSource are NOT eligible for on-campus housing.

Family members who are not dependents of students

Non-dependent family members of students, like parents or siblings, are not eligible to live with students in on-campus housing.

Students on internship

Students participating in department-sponsored academically required internships are not eligible for housing.
We will release you from your license agreement if you provide 30-days notice and a letter or email from your department verifying your situation and department-sponsored academically required internship. Termination fees will still apply.

MIT students with non-resident academic status

Non-resident status may be granted to doctoral students who have completed all requirements other than the thesis.
Students granted non-resident status by the Office of Graduate Education (OGE) are not eligible for housing.
We will release you from your license agreement if we are notified by OGE of a change in your status from resident to non-resident and you provide 30-days’ notice. Early termination fees apply.
Those with non-resident immigration status are eligible if they meet other criteria.

Non-MIT students or members of the public not affliated with MIT

You must be affiliated with MIT to be eligible for housing.